When heat treatment is applied to the a precision polished sapphire wafer, an atomic step is formed and it becomes a step wafer.
In a sapphire c plane wafer, a single step with the height of one atom layer (0.22nm) is formed, and a predetermined step height and terrace width are formed according to the off angle of the crystal face and crystal axis. Theoretically, in a 0.15 degree off, c-plane wafer, the terrace width is 80nm, and it can be used as a nanoscale with a height of 0.22nm and a terrace width of 80nm.
Since there is nothing comparable to this precision when doing nano-scale visualizatione or imaging of microscopic structures like DNA, we can take advantage of the sapphire step wafer feature and use it as a fixed standard or guide in the world of nano-technology.
Moreover, since the step wafer has a super-flat surface, in addition to a DNA observation stage, it is also expected to have applications such as nanowire.
Please do not hesitate to ask about commercial production utilizing sapphire step wafer features.
Introducation of Technologies
- Long Life
- Low Cost (re-cleanable)
- Useful in various measurement environment
(High Temperature Resistance, Chemical Resistance)
- Entire Linear Surface in Wide Area
- Step Height Uniformity (0.22nm±0.01nm)
- Extra Smooth Surface Terraces
- Terrace Width is Controllable (100～200nm)
- Height standard sample for SPM
- Immobilization plate for observing biomaterials such as DNA, Protein